Aired May 9, 2011
- 1 pound penne or hot pepper penne or whole wheat penne
- 1/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 red Fresno chile pepper, finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small, firm zucchini
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small bunch spring onions or scallions
- 1 15-ounce can diced Italian tomatoes
- Pecorino cheese, for grating
- A handful basil leaves, finely chopped
- A small handful mint leaves, finely chopped
- A small handful parsley, finely chopped
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Once boiling, add salt and pasta.
Heat EVOO, about 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Finely chop or thinly slice Fresno and add it to oil. Grate garlic with a handheld grater into oil and stir. Finely chop or fine dice zucchini and add to the pan. Peel and fine chop carrot, seed and fine chop pepper, chop whites of onions; adding each vegetable to the pan as you work. Stir and season the vegetables with salt and pepper, and raise heat a bit. Cook 5 minutes, stir in tomatoes, basil, greens of scallions, bring to a bubble, reduce heat and simmer 5-6 minutes more as pasta cooks.
Cook pasta to al dente, reserve 1 cup starchy cooking water, drain and toss pasta with sauce. Add a little water if necessary to thin sauce. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cheese and herbs.