Originally aired May 9, 2011
- For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons Siracha hot sauce
- For the Slaw:
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 4 large radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine or rice vinegar
- 1 round teaspoon sea salt
- For the Burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1/4 pound bologna, chopped then finely ground in a food processor
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and grated
- Salt and lots of black pepper
- Drizzle of vegetable oil
- Brioche or other burger rolls, split and lightly toasted
- Buttery lettuce leaves, such as Bibb or Boston, etc.
- Mint leaves and cilantro leaves, for garnish
Combine sauce ingredients in small pot and warm over low heat.
For the slaw, add carrots, cucumber and radishes to a bowl. Combine water, sugar, vinegar and salt in a saucepot and heat to dissolve sugar and salt. Pour over slaw, toss salad and chill or reserve at room temp.
For the burgers, combine meats with garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Form 4 patties. Heat a little oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook burgers 10-12 minutes, turning once. Bathe them in sauce during the last minute of cooking
Pile burgers on buns and top with lettuce, mint, cilantro and slaw. Set bun tops in place and serve with exotic root vegetable chips alongside.