Serves 4 as entre or makes 12 slider size patties.
Aired April 4, 2011
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil or vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 2 1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef sirloin, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon, a healthy palmful, mild (ancho) or hot (chipotle) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/3 palmful
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beer or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1/3 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 4 large burger rolls or 12 slider-size rolls
In a small skillet, heat a drizzle of oil, about 1/2 tablespoon, over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 pound turkey or beef and brown and crumble. Add onions, garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper, and cook to soften onions, 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, stir a minute then deglaze pan with beer or stock.
In a second small pan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, add milk and season sauce with salt and pepper. Let thicken then melt cheese into sauce.
Bring a medium saucepot of water to a boil. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente. Drain pasta and toss with cheese sauce then fold in chili.
While pasta water comes to a boil, heat a grill or griddle pan over medium high heat.
In a mixing bowl, season remaining 2 pounds of meat with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and form 4 large burgers or 12 slider-size burgers. Cook burgers to desired doneness. Place patties on the buns and top with some chili mac. Serve with vegetable sticks alongside.