Originally aired March 21, 2011
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 pound cured chorizo, casings discarded and meat chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, or 3 drained Spanish Piquillo peppers, chopped
- 1 red chile pepper, such as a Fresno, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- A handful cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 handfuls unsalted thin yellow or blue tortilla chips, such as Xochitl brand, lightly crushed
- 12 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups shredded young Manchego or Monterey jack cheese
- Hot sauce, to pass around the table
Preheat the oven to 425F. In a 10-inch, oven-proof non-stick skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and lightly brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell pepper, chile pepper, salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Scatter in the cilantro (or parsley) and tortilla chips. Add the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine; let the eggs settle, then cook until set at the edges (some of the tortilla chips will pop up).
Transfer the tortilla to the oven and bake until cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes. Turn the oven to broil. Top the tortilla with the cheese and melt under the broiler. Pass the hot sauce at the table.