Serves 4 - 6
Originally aired February 25, 2011
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1/4 pound pancetta, diced, optional
- 2 pounds flank steak or chuck steak, chopped into small dice, pat dry with paper towels
- Salt and pepper
- About 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, a scant palmful
- 2 red cherry chili peppers or red Fresno chili peppers, sliced or seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- About 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 28-ounce cans cannellini beans or chick peas, drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup dry wine, red or white or 1 cup Italian beer
- 3 cups beef stock
- Optional Garnishes:
- Shredded provolone cheese
- Shredded basil
- Finely chopped raw onion
- Chopped fresh mozzarella
- Chopped Pepperoncini
Heat EVOO in pot over medium-high heat, add pancetta, brown to crisp, and drain to a paper towel. Season steak with salt and pepper and add to the pan in batches to brown.
Combine the pancetta, steak, fennel seeds, peppers, onion, garlic, oregano, beans, tomato paste, wine and stock in the slow-cooker crock pot, and then close the lid. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
Serve in bowls topped with garnishes.