Originally aired February 25, 2011
- Sliced peasant bread or country white
- Softened butter
- Serrano ham, thinly sliced
- Gala or honey crisp apples, thinly sliced, 1 per every 2 sandwiches, sauted in butter and seasoned a pinch of cinnamon, salt and nutmeg, deglaze with a shot of Calvados (apple liquor)
- Sliced mild melting cheese such as mild cheddar or Monterey Jack
- Thinly sliced Manchego cheese
Butter one side of sliced bread. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and crisp the ham a slice or 2 at a time, 30 seconds on each side and let cool on towels. Add butter to skillet and saut apples to tender crisp. Season with a hint of cinnamon, a little nutmeg, pinch of salt and deglaze with Calvados. Build sandwiches of soft, easy melting cheese, crispy Serrano ham, apples and Manchego. Grill to golden in skillet over medium heat covered loosely with tin foil, then turn and press for 7-8 minutes.