Makes 6 sandwiches
Aired February 25, 2011
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 scant tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole, organic milk
- Salt and white pepper or finely ground black pepper
- Nutmeg, freshly grated to taste
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sliced brioche bread or white bread
- Thinly sliced French style ham (mild, sweet and buttery, not smoky in flavor)
- Shredded Comte or Gruyere cheese, 1 -2 cups shredded cheese for 6 sandwiches
Heat oven to 375F.
Melt butter over medium heat in saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook a minute, then whisk in milk and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer at a low bubble until thickened to coat spoon, stir in Dijon.
Arrange sliced bread on baking sheet and top with sauce, ham and cheese, bake to deep golden on top. Sandwiches can be made single or double layer, finishing top layer with sauce and cheese: bread, sauce, ham cheese, bread, sauce, cheese.