Originally aired February 24, 2011
- 12 3- to 4-inch pieces boneless beef short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika, a palmful
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice, about half a palmful
- 4 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, halved then cut into thick slices
- 5 celery stalks from the heart, cut into 3-inch pieces on an angle
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 2-inch slices on an angle
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 6 red beets, stems and root ends trimmed
- 2 cups watercress
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds for garnish (optional)
Place the short ribs, salt, pepper, flour and spices in a large mixing bowl then place a lage piece of plastic wrap over the top and give it a good shake to dust and season the ribs.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown short ribs on all sides, about 2 minutes per side, until brown. Brown in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
Place the onions, celery and carrots down on the bottom of the slow cooker then place the browned short ribs on top of the veggies. Pour the beef stock and pomegranate juice into the slow cooker and add the bay leaf and beets. Put a lid on the pot and cook for 6 hours on high, 8 on low.
About 10 minutes before you are ready to serve, make the Creamy Sage Polenta.
Dress the watercress with lemon juice, the remaining tablespoon of EVOO, salt and pepper.
To serve, ladle some polenta into a shallow bowl. Place 3 pieces of short rib and some of the braised veggies and beets on top. Ladle some of the gravy over top of everything. Garnish each serving with some of the dressed watercress and pomegranate seeds, if using.