Aired February 23, 2011
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for brushing
- 1 Gala apple, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, about a palmful
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Poppy seeds, for garnish
Preheat oven to 425F.
Place the potatoes in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Salt water and cook potatoes to tender.
Brush the inside of a 12-cup muffin tin with EVOO.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO. Add apples, celery and onion, and cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine turkey with breadcrumbs, egg, poultry seasoning, softened apples, celery and onion mixture, salt and pepper. Separate mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into muffin cups. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Drain cooked sweet potatoes and put into a food processor. Add buttermilk, honey, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and pure.
When cool enough to handle, remove muffins from cups and frost mini meatloaves with sweet potato pure. Roll the sides in herbs and top with poppy seeds.