Aired February 22, 2011
- For the chicken:
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, cut in half
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges with root end attached
- 2 bulbs fennel, cut into wedges with root end attached (save fronds for garnish)
- 1 pint dried figs, cut in half
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- Splash of chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- For the garnish:
- 1 chunk Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Fennel fronds, chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/2 cup pitted Sicilian olives
- Balsamic drizzle
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 2 turns of the pan of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
While chicken is browning, put the onions, fennel, figs, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper in a slow cooker. Add browned chicken to the slow cooker with the veggies and gently toss everything around to mix. Pour Marsala and chicken stock over the chicken and veggies, place the lid on top and set slow cooker for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
When ready to serve, scoop into a shallow bowl then top with all the garnishes.