Originally aired February 16, 2011
- 3-4 pounds chicken drummers or cut chicken wings
- For the Salty-Sweet Sauce:
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, pasted or grated
- 1 inch ginger root, grated
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce or Kecap Manis (aged, thick soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons Tamari soy sauce or low-sodium soy sauce
- About 1/2 cup honey
- Thinly sliced or chopped scallions, garnish
- Chopped spicy peanuts, garnish
For either preparation, place chicken pieces in a large stockpot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Par-boil chicken 10 minutes then drain and pat dry.
For Salty-Sweet Chicken, arrange par-boiled chicken on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet and place in upper third of oven. Turn broiler on high and broil until skin is crispy all over, 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. Combine chili pepper, garlic, ginger, vinegar, Hoisin sauce or Kecap Manis, Tamari or low-sodium soy sauce and honey with a whisk in a large bowl. Toss chicken in sauce, garnish with scallions and chopped spicy peanuts.