Makes 8 dogs
Originally aired February 9, 2011
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 small Gala apple, chopped
- About 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seed, half a palmful
- Salt and pepper or Montreal Seasoning (it tastes like pickling spice)
- 2 round tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup German beer or cloudy cider
- 8 bratwurst, knockwurst or bockwurst
- 8 6-inch rolls of choice, split
- Spicy brown mustard
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 round tablespoons pickle relish
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- Salt and pepper
Heat skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add cabbage, onions, apples and season with caraway seeds and Montreal Seasoning or salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until wilted. Then add brown sugar and beer or cider, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When cabbage is ready, heat griddle or grill pan to medium-high heat. Split the wursts lengthwise and open them like a book, then grill them to crisp on both sides.
Heat broiler and arrange the rolls on a baking sheet. Cover them with mustard and cheese, then broil to melt cheese.
Stir together sour cream, relish and ketchup and season sauce with salt and pepper.
Place the wursts on top of cheese and top with special sauce and cabbage. The leftover cabbage is a great sandwich topper for smoked turkey or ham sammies as well as super side dish for schnitzel or roast beef dinners later in the week.