Aired February 1, 2011
- 1 roasted eggplant, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 bulb roasted garlic
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano Italian tomatoes
- 1/2 small red chili, seeded and finely chopped or a little crushed pepper flakes
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- A scant handful flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups roasted cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pound whole grain or whole wheat rigatoni or penne
- A couple handfuls basil leaves
- 1 bunch arugula leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 pound chunk of ricotta salata
In a food processor, combine roasted eggplant flesh, roasted garlic, tomatoes, chili, a drizzle of EVOO, salt, pepper and parsley. Puree, transfer to a saucepot and simmer 20 minutes then stir in roasted cherry tomatoes.
Meanwhile, boil water for pasta. Add salt and pasta, and cook to al dente. Reserve 1 cup starchy cooking liquid just before draining. Toss pasta with sauce, using water to thin out sauce.
Dress basil and arugula with a little lemon juice, EVOO, salt and pepper. Top pasta with greens and lots of ricotta salata before serving.