Originally aired January 25, 2011
- For the olive salad:
- About 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed olives or pitted Sicilian olives
- About 1/4 cup pitted black olives
- 1 cup drained giardiniera (hot pickled vegetable salad)
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste, optional
- 1 roasted red pepper, homemade or store-bought, chopped (homemade for me!)
- 2 large clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- A few leaves of basil
- A scant handful of flat-leaf parsley
- For the pizza:
- 2 1-pound balls pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- Flour, for rolling out dough
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced mozzarella or smoked mozzarella
- 1/3 pound sweet sopressata, thinly sliced
- 1/3 pound sliced hot ham, coppa or cappacolo
- 1/2 pound mortadella, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for brushing
- Sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 450F.
In the bowl of a food processor, add olives, giardiniera, anchovy paste, roasted pepper, garlic, basil and parsley. Pulse to form a finely chopped relish.
On a floured surface, roll out doughs into 2 thin rounds. Transfer the first to an oil-brushed baking sheet. Top with a layer of olive salad, then even layers of cheeses and meats, leaving a 1-inch edge. Brush edges with water and top with remaining dough. Pinch all around to seal.
Brush with EVOO and sprinkle with sesame seeds. (Tip: Brush with egg wash for sesame seeds to really stick to the top!) Bake 20-25 minutes to deep golden. Let cool 10 minutes then cut into 8 wedges and serve with a green salad alongside.