Originally aired January 21, 2011
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- Olive or vegetable oil, for drizzling, plus about 2 tablespoons
- 4 8-ounce boneless pork loin chops
- Black pepper
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped or 2 to 3 scallions, whites and greens finely chopped
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons Tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1 ripe brown skinned pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small bundle watercress, leaves trimmed
- 1 endive, sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
Boil sweet potatoes 6-7 minutes in salted water. Cool to handle while you preheat oven to 450F. Cut potatoes into wedges, drizzle lightly with oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast 35-40 minutes to crisp and brown.
20 minutes before the fries come out of the oven, heat a skillet with about 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chops and cook 6-7 minutes on each side. Remove to plate and cover with foil.
Add a little more oil to the skillet and reduce heat a little. Add garlic, chopped shallots or green onions and ginger. Stir 2 minutes then add soy and maple syrup. Reduce to thicken a couple of minutes more, return chops and cover with glaze.
Combine pears with watercress, endive, walnuts and dress lightly with lemon juice, EVOO, salt and pepper, and mix in cheese. Serve salad alongside chops and potato wedges.