Originally aired January 21, 2011
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or canned no-salt-added canned tomatoes
- 2 sweet red peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 18 teaspoon cayenne
- 12 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Heaping 14 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups canned low-sodium red kidney beans, such as Goya, drained and rinsed or cooked
- 12 cup cracked wheat or bulgur
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 14 cup shredded low-fat cheddar
Lightly spritz a large heavy bottomed stockpot with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the water, tomatoes, peppers, celery, carrots, cayenne, cumin, bay leaf, chili
powder, salt, beans, and cracked wheat. Stir and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf and divide the chili evenly among 4 bowls. Top each bowl with
12 tablespoon onion and 12 tablespoon cheddar. Serve.