Originally aired January 21, 2011
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 12 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or canned no-salt-added tomatoes
- 12 cup light coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 18 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
Heat a large heavy bottomed stockpot over medium heat and coat the pot with cooking spray.
Cook the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cayenne, garlic, curry
powder, and ginger and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the shrimp. Bring to a boil again and cook for an additional 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.