Originally aired January 14, 2011
- 4 cups broccolini florets, chopped broccoli rabe or broccoli florets
- 1 pound whole wheat penne, twists or elbows or brown rice pasta
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, very finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small Fresno chili pepper or red cherry pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded aged Gouda cheese
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggaino cheese, freshly shredded
- A few sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
Bring a few inches of water to a boil. Salt water and parboil broccoli, rabe or broccolini 4-5 minutes. Drain and cold shock, then dry on kitchen towels.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta and undercook the pasta by about 2 minutes. Preheat oven to 425F.
Heat a saucepot over medium heat with EVOO and butter. Saut shallots, garlic and chilies 2-3 minutes then add flour and stir 1 minute. Whisk in milk and season sauce with salt and pepper, melt in cheddar and Gouda.
Combine pasta with broccoli, broccolini or rabe and the sauce, and transfer to a baking dish. Top with Parm cheese, sprinkle with fresh thyme and bake until brown and bubbly.