Makes 12 sloppy sliders
Aired January 13, 2011
- For the Bourbon BBQ Sauce:
- 2 shots of good quality bourbon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin, scant 1/3 palmful
- Pinch of ground cloves or allspice
- Coarse black pepper
- For the steaks:
- 1 1/2 pounds flat-iron steaks or flank steak
- Vegetable oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup beef stock
- 12 soft slider rolls, split
For BBQ sauce, combine all ingredients a medium skillet and bring to a low bubble. Simmer gently and reduce 20 minutes.
While the sauce reduces, drizzle the meat lightly with vegetable oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bring the meat to room temperature.
Heat a cast-iron pan or griddle or grill pan over medium-high to high heat. Cook steaks 4 minutes on each side and let rest. Thinly slice meat on angle against the grain and add to the skillet with the BBQ sauce along with the beef stock to combine meat with sauce.
Serve sliced meat on soft rolls topped with Pickled Onions, Peppers and Cucumbers and Apple Slaw alongside.