Aired January 10, 2011
- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or Marsala
- 1 cup cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- About a cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus some to pass at table
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 1 cup frozen organic peas, defrosted
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta.
Heat EVOO and butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and thyme, and cook to tender, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper, and add shallots and garlic. Saut another 4-5 minutes then deglaze the pan with sherry or Marsala. Stir in cream and bring to a bubble then reduce heat to low and simmer. Season with nutmeg. When pasta is just about done, turn off heat and stir in cheese, a couple of handfuls. Cover and reserve.
Cook pasta to al dente. Reserve 1 cup starchy cooking liquid, then drain pasta and return to hot pot with peas. Add 1/2 cup cooking liquid and mushroom sauce, and toss to combine, 1-2 minutes. Add more water as necessary to coat pasta evenly.
Serve in shallow bowls topped with parsley and pass more cheese at table.