Serves 32 (2 pounds)
Aired December 22, 2010
- 1 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate morsels
- 9-ounces (3/4 of a 12-ounce bag) butterscotch morsels
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 8-ounce can walnut halves
- 1/2 cup currants, a couple of handfuls
- 8-inch cake pan, lightly greased with softened butter
- Candied cherries, red and green, optional for garnish
Place a heavy pot on the stove and preheat it over low heat. Add chips and milk and stir until chips are melted and milk combined. Save the empty condensed milk can. Stir in vanilla and remove fudge from heat. Add nuts and currants and stir in immediately.
Cover empty condensed milk can with plastic food wrap and center it in the greased cake pan. Spoon fudge into pan around can, making sure to recenter can if it drifts.
The fudge will set up almost immediately. Garnish can only be added in the first minute or 2 the fudge is in the pan, so work quickly. Decorate your wreath with "holly" made from cut candied red and green cherries. A wreath left plain can be garnished with a pretty fabric bow when serving. Chill covered in the refrigerator and slice fudge very thin when ready to serve, a little goes a long way.