Originally aired December 20, 2010
- 8 slices smoky bacon
- 2 cups multigrain pancake and waffle mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat milk, plus additional for thinning batter as needed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, plus some to brush waffle iron
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Melted butter, for brushing
- Orange peel curl
- 2 cloves
- 1 1/2 cups dark amber maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
Preheat oven to 375F.
Arrange bacon on a slotted broiler pan and bake until crisp. Cool and chop.
Place pancake mix in a batter bowl and combine with eggs, milk, butter and a few grates of nutmeg. When mix is combined, stir in chopped bacon and chocolate chips.
Heat waffle iron and brush with melted butter. If the batter gets too thick to ladle, add a little more milk.
While waffle iron heats up, stud the orange curl with the cloves. Place syrup in a small pot with the clove-studded orange peel and cinnamon stick. Keep warm over low heat.
Make some fruit salad to serve with waffles while they crisp up in iron.
Serve waffles with mulled syrup and fruit salad alongside.