Aired December 6, 2010
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus additional for brushing waffle iron
- 8 plums, pits removed and thinly sliced
- 1 inch freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- About 1 1/2 cups dark amber maple syrup
- Drizzle of vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large ham steak, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds
- Whole grain pancake and waffle mix
- 1 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts or pecans
- A few grates of nutmeg
- Melted butter, for brushing
Preheat waffle iron.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add plums and ginger; season with allspice and saut to tender, 5 minutes. Add maple syrup and reduce heat to low.
Heat a drizzle of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham steak and cook to brown on both sides, 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally. Quarter steak into 4 portions.
Combine waffle mix according to package directions for 4 individual portions. Stir in nuts and nutmeg. Brush waffle iron with melted butter and cook waffles to deep golden brown.
Top waffles with ham steak and lots of maple plums, and serve.