Originally aired December 3, 2010
- 2 heads garlic
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling plus 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- 12 plum or Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, such as chopped fresh thyme, rosemary, parsley
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can Italian tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- A generous handful of basil, shredded or torn
Preheat oven to 425F.
Cut the end off the heads of garlic, drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Wrap them in foil and roast to soft, 40-45 minutes.
Reduce heat to 300F. Arrange halved tomatoes on a cooking rack set on a baking sheet so heat can circulate around the tomatoes. Drizzle with EVOO and season with salt, pepper and herbs of choice. Roast 2 hours.
When tomatoes are done, saut onions in EVOO, a turn of the pan, until soft, 10 minutes. Place roasted garlic cloves, half the roasted tomatoes, onions and canned tomatoes in a food processor, and pure until smooth. Place tomato base in a pot with the stock and stir to combine and heat through.
Chop remaining roasted tomatoes then stir into soup to give the soup some texture. Serve in shallow bowls topped with basil and cheese puffs or grilled cheese sandwiches alongside.