Originally aired November 17, 2010
- Pantry Ingredients:
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Poultry seasoning
- 1 loaf of fruit-nut bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into medium dice, fronds reserved
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups turkey stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Place the fruit nut bread cubes onto a baking sheet. Melt half the butter and pour over cubes. Bake until lightly golden in color and slightly dried out, about 15-20 minutes.
In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat, then add the fennel and onions. Cook for 8-10 minutes until softened and a bit caramelized. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
Add the toasted fruit and nut bread and stock to the bowl with the onion-fennel mixture and the stock. Mix to combine all ingredients (use your hands if you like -- its fun!). The mixture should be moist but not soggy; add a little more stock if you like your stuffing wetter.
Season the stuffing with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Place in a 9x13" buttered baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. (To keep the stuffing moist; cover the top loosely with foil while it bakes.)