Originally aired November 16, 2010
- 1 cup wholewheat, white or panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup broccoli or spinach or sweet potato or beet puree
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders, rinsed, dried, and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, Parmesan, paprika, garlic, and onion powder on the paper or foil, and mix well with your fingers.
In a shallow bowl, mix the vegetable puree and egg with a fork and set the bowl next to the breadcrumb mixture.
Sprinkle the chicken chunks with the salt. Dip the chunks into the egg mixture and then toss them in the breadcrumbs until completely coated.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over mediumhigh heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Place the chicken nuggets in the skillet in a single layer, being careful not to crowd the pan, and cook until crisp and golden on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Then turn and cook until chicken is cooked through, golden brown and crisp all over, 4 to 5 minutes longer. (Cut into a piece to check that its cooked through.) Serve warm.