Serves 6-8 as a snack
Originally aired November 8, 2010
- One sheet frozen puff pastry, such as Pepperidge Farm, slightly thawed
- 1/2 pound chorizo, skinned removed and cut into 24 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups loosely packed herbs, such as parsley and cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Roll out pastry sheet a little and cut into 24 triangles.
Working with 1 puff pastry triangle at a time (refrigerate the rest of the pastry until ready to use), arrange a piece of sausage across the base of the triangle and roll up snugly, sealing the pastry with a dab of beaten egg. Transfer to the prepared pans. Brush the triangles with more beaten egg and bake until puffed and golden, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, using a food processor, blend the parsley, cilantro, garlic, EVOO, vinegar, crushed red pepper and 2 tablespoons warm water until almost smooth. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve the pigs in blankets warm, with the chimichurri dip.