Aired October 28, 2010
- 1 large bundle broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling plus about 1/4 cup
- 1 large bulb of garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
- 1 small sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain rigatoni
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
Heat oven to 425F.
In a pot of salted boiling water, blanch broccoli rabe a few minutes to curb bitterness. Drain and coat lightly with EVOO, season with salt and pepper, and arrange on a baking sheet.
Cut end off garlic bulb to expose all the cloves, drizzle with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Top the garlic with the chopped herbs and wrap tightly in foil. Roast 45 minutes. Add broccoli rabe to the oven when garlic is halfway through cooking. Roast everything until garlic and herbs are soft and the tops of rabe are crisp and brown.
When garlic is cool enough to handle, bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt and cook pasta to al dente. Before draining, reserve 1 cup of the starchy water.
Heat about 1/4 cup EVOO in a skillet with the chili. Squeeze the garlic cloves into the skillet and whisk them into the oil. Add rabe and toss to combine.
Toss pasta with ricotta, nutmeg to taste, rabe and just enough starchy water to combine.