Originally aired October 4, 2010
- 3 ounces Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1/2 pound of turkey bacon, cut into 2" pieces, cooked ahead
- 1 28-ounce can of pureed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon of adobo sauce from canned chipotles
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups of cooked white beans
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas
- Salt, pepper and cayenne, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
In a small stock pot, heat the olive oil and garlic over high heat.
Once garlic is light golden brown, remove. Add onions and saute for 2 minutes. Then add ground turkey, and saute until lightly browned.
Add turkey bacon.
Add everything else except for the beans, chickpeas and cilantro.
Lower the heat to medium and stir occasionally to make sure the chili is not sticking to the pot or burning. Cook for approximately 30 minutes.
Add the beans and chick peas and cilantro, lower heat to low, keeping chili at a slow simmer and cook for another 10 min or until chili starts to thicken. Adjust seasoning and serve.
This can be made a day before you plan to serve!