Aired September 23, 2010
- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for drizzling
- 4 bone-in, skin-on, chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 pound sliced Calabrese salami, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 small ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cubanelle pepper, chopped or thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/3 palmful
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 28-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 loaf crusty bread, such as ciabatta
Heat a cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven with EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat until very hot. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, add to skillet and brown on both sides. Remove to a plate.
Add salami to the skillet and stir 1 minute. Add in the onions, celery, peppers, garlic and stir a couple of minutes more. Add fennel. Deglaze the pan with wine, then add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and parsley. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Return chicken breasts to the pot. Cook through, about 10-15 minutes, then turn off heat and cool to store for a make-ahead meal.
To reheat in the same pan, add a splash of water or stock to get things going. Top with an extra drizzle of EVOO and serve with bread crusted up in a hot oven.