Makes 8 sliders
Aired July 12, 2010
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced or 1 small cubanelle pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound bulk sweet or hot Italian sausage or sausage links, casings removed
- 8 cubes of provolone cheese, half-inch thick and 1-inch square
- 8 small dinner rolls or packaged slider rolls, such as Pepperidge Farm brand, split open and toasted
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic to the pan and cook until the veggies are tender, 7-8 minutes. When the veggies are tender, add the Worcestershire and season with salt and pepper.
While the veggies are cooking, place a second skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Shape the sausage into thin patties and wrap the meat around the cubed cheese. Cook patties 4 minutes on each side until deep brown and firm.
Place patties on roll bottoms and top with peppers and onions. Set roll tops in place and serve.