Aired May 21, 2010
- 1 red hot chili pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken meat, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 large bell peppers, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 24 1/2-inch slices peeled sweet potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices smoky bacon, halved
- Cooking spray or olive oil for brushing
- 2/3 cup sour cream or crme fraiche
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
Combine chili pepper, garlic, juice of 1 lemon, EVOO and paprika in a plastic food storage bag and add chicken. Marinate for 1 hour then skewer on metal rods with onions and sweet peppers.
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Boil sweet potatoes for 7 minutes in salted water to partially cook them. Drain and cool to handle. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Wrap 12 slices of sweet potato in bacon and skewer, layering every other potato with bacon wrapped slices. Skewer the potatoes so that as much surface area is exposed as possible. Dress the potato kabobs with oil or spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.
Grill meat kabobs 15 minutes, turning occasionally or until chicken is cooked through. Sweet potato kabobs should take 10-12 minutes, to cook bacon and mark potatoes. Combine the sour cream with syrup as a dipper.