Aired May 20, 2010
- Frying oil, such as canola or vegetable
- 8 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken from 1 chicken cut into pieces or pick and choose your favorite cuts
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- bout 1/8 teaspoon, a couple of healthy pinches, cayenne pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- Honey and hot sauce, to pass at the table
Preheat oven to 250F
Heat about 2 to 2 1/2 inches of oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium to medium- high heat.
In a shallow bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder and spices. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
Clean and pat chicken very dry. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Turn each piece in the egg whites to coat then in the spiced flour mixture.
Fry the chicken in batches, 10-12 minutes, until deep golden in color and juices run clear. Keep fried chicken warm in the oven on a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet. Serve with hot sauce and honey for topping.