Aired May 6, 2010
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 1/4 pounds thinly sliced pork or chicken cutlets or 1 1/2 pounds ground pork or chicken
- 1/4 pound oyster, baby white or shiitake mushrooms, chopped or thinly sliced 1 bunch scallions, chopped or thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- One 1 1/2-inch fresh ginger, cut into thin matchsticks or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce, eyeball it
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, core removed, quartered
Using a food processor, finely chop the peanuts.
In a large skillet, heat the oil, 2 turns of the pan, over high heat. Add the chicken or pork and brown, about 5 minutes; season with pepper. Add the mushrooms, scallions, garlic and ginger; toss for 2 minutes. Push the ingredients to the side of the pan and add the peanut butter to the center to melt. Whisk in the apple juice, tamari and hot sauce. Stir in the peanuts.
Spoon the satay into a serving bowl or individual bowls. Serve the lettuce wedges alongside. Scoop the satay mixture into lettuce leaves to wrap up as you eat.