Originally aired March 15, 2010
- 2 pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 pound Manchego cheese, shredded, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 pounds Spanish chorizo, cut into thick slices on an angle
- 1 medium Spanish onion, root end attached, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup large Spanish olives
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil for liberal drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, 2 to 3 finely chopped, 1 halved
- 1 pound chard, stripped and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika, half a palmful
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Crusty bread, such as peasant style or baguette, halved and cut into chunks
- 1 large vine ripe tomato or 2 ripe plum tomatoes
Heat oven to 450F.
Place potatoes in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook to tender. Mash with milk, salt, pepper and cheese.
While water for the potatoes comes to a boil, heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. In a bowl, coat the chorizo, onion and olives with a liberal drizzle of EVOO. Add everything to the hot pan then transfer to the oven and roast 15 minutes, stirring once midway, until sausages are crisp and onion slices are tender.
Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons EVOO to a skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add chopped garlic. Stir 2 minutes then wilt in chard. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, and nutmeg. Add stock to greens and braise 10 minutes.
Remove sausages from oven and switch on broiler. Place bread under broiler until toasted. Rub bread with the cut side of the halved garlic then rub with halved ripe tomatoes. Drizzle bread with EVOO and season with salt.
Serve potatoes, greens and roast chorizo with tomato toast alongside.