Aired February 26, 2010
- 1 cup bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into large dice
- 3 large carrots, cut into large dice
- 2 cups chopped onions, cut into medium dice
- 3 to 4 celery stalks, cut into large dice
- 1 24-ounce bag red bliss potatoes, cut large ones in half
- 1 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 navel oranges, zested into strips
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped in one direction
- Toasted sliced almonds
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the bacon then remove to the crockpot, reserving the fat in the skillet.
Brown the stew meat in the reserved bacon fat, sprinkle with flour, then remove the meat and place into the crock pot.
Add all the remaining ingredients to the crockpot and give it a good stir. Place the lid on and cook 4 hours on high or 6-8 on low.
Once the stew is done cooking, mix together the toppings in a small bowl and top each portion of stew for a pop of freshness.