Originally aired February 8, 2010
- 1/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus more for coating, divided
- 1 large bulb fennel, thinly sliced, plus a small handful of fennel fronds, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 to 1 cup dry white wine (eyeball it)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Season chicken with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and fennel seeds. Coat chicken lightly with flour. Add chicken to the pan and cook, turning once, until golden, 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, fennel, fennel fronds, onion and garlic to the pan. Season with salt and pepper, and cook 10 minutes. Add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add reserved chicken back to the pan and cook through, about 5 minutes.
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the pine nuts and cook for 1 minute. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce and cook until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
To serve, pour the sauce over the chicken, top with parsley and serve with some of the fennel and onions alongside.