Originally aired February 2, 2010
- 1 cup brown or white rice
- 1 bundle (2 cups) watercress or upland cress, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 4 medium to large carrots or multi-colored farmer's market carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon all-natural liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 8-ounce salmon filets, skin removed
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seafood seasoning
- 2 cups frozen sweet peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
Prepare brown or white rice to package directions. When rice is done, fluff with fork and combine with watercress leaves.
When rice has been cooking 5 minutes, preheat broiler and heat a skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, a turn of the pan. Add carrots to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Saut to tender-crisp, 6-7 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small pot, bring the liquid smoke, maple syrup and vinegar to a boil and reduce over high heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Season the salmon with salt, pepper and Old Bay. Heat remaining tablespoon EVOO, a turn of the pan, in a large, nonstick skillet and cook salmon top-side down 3-4 minutes. Flip and pour glaze over top of fish and place under broiler for 3 minutes to caramelize the fish.
Add peas to carrots and heat through while fish is under broiler. Add butter and chives to veggies. When butter has melted, turn off heat.
Serve salmon with peas and carrots, and rice with watercress alongside.