Originally aired January 27, 2010
- For the Sauce:
- 1 bag fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup red wine or port
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup sugar
- For the Burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons each parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 slices extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 large sandwich-size English muffins, toasted
- Butter, for toasted muffins
- 8 pieces Bibb or leaf lettuce
Combine cranberries, wine, juice and sugar in a pot, bring to a boil and cook cranberries until they pop. Reduce to thicken sauce, about 15 minutes or so. Allow sauce to cool.
Combine turkey with herbs, shallot, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Form 4 large patties and cook 5-6 minutes on each side in EVOO in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cover burgers with cheese and tent the pan with foil to melt cheese during the last minute of cook time.
Serve on buttered, toasted sandwich size English muffins. Set burgers on a couple of slices of lettuce and set tops in place with lots of cranberry sauce.