Originally aired January 11, 2010
- 8 chicken cutlets, slightly pounded
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 1 to 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, eyeball it
- 1/2 cup pineapple preserves
- 1/2 jalapeo, seeded and sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or tamari
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 scallions, whites and greens sliced
Preheat oven to 250F. Place a cooling rack over a baking sheet and place in oven.
Arrange 3 shallow dishes: Place about a cup of flour on first plate to dredge the chicken. Beat eggs with a splash of water in second dish. Combine the panko and coconut in the third dish.
Heat a thin layer of EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then coat them in flour, then egg, then breadcrumb-coconut mixture. Fry in 2 batches until deep golden in color, 3-4 minutes on each side. Keep chicken crisp in warm oven and repeat with remaining chicken.
In a small skillet over medium-high heat, stir together pineapple preserves, jalapeo slices, rice wine vinegar or tamari, and chicken stock. Reduce until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in scallions.
To serve, arrange chicken on a platter and pour sauce over the top.