Aired January 5, 2010
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk or yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 to 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced on bias
- 1/2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 450F.
Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and rub them with EVOO, salt and pepper. Bake until tender, about 35-40 minutes.
Halve the potatoes and scoop out about a 1/3 of the flesh of each into a medium-size mixing bowl. Add buttermilk or yogurt to the sweet potato flesh. Season with salt and paprika then mash.
Fill the potato skins with the mashed potatoes and arrange the skins on a baking sheet. Place back into the oven for about 15 minutes, until edges are slightly golden brown.
Meanwhile, cook up the bacon or sausage in a skillet until golden brown. Reserve.
Remove potato skins from oven and sprinkle with cheese, bacon and scallions. Serve 2 halves per person with a salad alongside.