Originally aired January 5, 2010
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 small-medium bell peppers in 2 colors, such as green and red, very thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 8 large good quality hot dogs, split down the middle
- 8 bakery hoagie, sub or dog rolls, split
Heat a large griddle over medium-high heat. Heat a deep skillet with a few inches boiling water. Reduce heat, keeping water at low boil.
Heat EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, hot pepper and stir 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and onion, season with salt, pepper and oregano or marjoram. Cook until very tender, 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, cook 1 minute then add stock and reduce heat to low to keep peppers and onions saucy and warm.
Add hot dogs to boiling water and cook 4-5 minutes to heat through. Remove, split lengthwise and place on hot griddle to crisp the inside of the dog as well as the casing. Nestle dogs in rolls and top with peppers and onions.