Serves 6 as a snack
Originally aired December 23, 2009
- 2 tablespoons EVOO- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, about a palmful
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick Montreal Seasoning, about a palmful
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeo, optional
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chives
- 1 box puff pastry
Preheat oven to 400F.
Place a large sauce pot over medium high heat, add EVOO. Add the ground turkey and season with salt and pepper. Cook the turkey while breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add chili powder, cumin, grill seasoning, jalapeo (if using), onion and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions are slightly soft. Add the diced tomatoes with their juice and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes then cool the chili. Once the chili is cool, stir in the cheese and reserve the mixture for filling. While chili is simmering, Mix up the sour cream with garlic and chives and reserve for dipper.
Take the puff pastry and place it on a flour dusted work surface area. Cut each sheet of puff pastry dough into 6 5-inch by 5-inch squares (you should get 12 total squares).
Once the squares are cut fill one corner of each square with 1-2 tablespoons of chili cheese filling leaving a clean border. Then egg wash 1/2 of the squares border, fold in half over the filling to form a triangle. Press the edge to seal the turn over, and then place onto a parchment line sheet tray. Repeat with the remaining squares and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.