Originally aired December 14, 2009
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 slices good quality white Pullman bread
- 4 deli pickles, dill or garlic, halved
- Sliced or halved radishes, lightly salted
In a bowl, combine meat with Worcestershire, salt, pepper and herbs. Divide the mixture into 4 portions then form each portion into patties, making them thinner at the center for even cooking. Drizzle burgers with 1 tablespoon EVOO.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook burgers 10 minutes for medium-rare and up to 16 minutes for medium-well, turning them once halfway through.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan heat 1 tablespoon EVOO and 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook 7-8 minutes. Add onions and garlic, and cook 7-8 minutes more, until tender. Season with salt and pepper, stir in flour, cook 1 minute then stir in wine and stock. Bring to a bubble, reduce heat and let thicken. Stir in sour cream and turn off heat.
Toast and butter the bread slices. To serve, set a piece of buttered toast on plates, top with a burger then spoon the Stroganoff sauce down over top. Serve pickles and radishes alongside.