Aired November 18, 2009
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, white or dark meat, diced into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 Empire, Gala or Honey Crisp apples, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 small ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 sheet store-bought puff pastry dough, defrosted if frozen
- 1 egg, beaten with water
Preheat oven to 400F.
Heat EVOO in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown 7-8 minutes then remove to plate.
Add butter and melt. Add apples, celery, onion, bay, thyme, salt and pepper, and cook to soften, 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, stir 1 minute then whisk in cider and stock. Slide chicken back into pan and simmer a few minutes to thicken sauce.
Place in casserole dish or individual casserole dishes arranged on baking sheet to catch drips. Cover with pastry, brush with egg wash and bake until golden.