Originally aired November 18, 2009
- 6 tart apples, such as Granny Smith or Northern Spies, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries, a couple of handfuls
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pie dough
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 ceramic or oven-safe individual glass bowls or large ramekins
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a mixing bowl, combine apples, cranberries, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and salt.
Roll out the pie dough and cut out 4 rounds that are slightly larger than the mouth of the baking dishes. Fill dishes with apples. Top each ramekin with a round of pie dough and crimp the edges with the tines of a fork. Brush the crust with egg wash. Transfer baking dishes to a baking sheet. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the apples are tender, about 20-30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature plain or topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.