Makes 12 servings
Aired November 18, 2009
- For cupcakes:
- 2 cups moist-style yellow cake mix (1/2 of an 18.25-ounce box)
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/3 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- For topping:
- 3 cubes (about 1 ounce) chewy caramel
- 2 teaspoons light vanilla soy milk
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Combine all cupcake ingredients in a mixing bowl with 13 cup of water. Whip with a whisk or fork for 2 minutes until well blended.
Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with baking cups. Evenly spoon batter into muffin cups. Place pan in the oven and cook for about 12 minutes (until cupcakes have puffed up but still appear a little gooey on top). Once cupcakes are cool enough to handle, arrange them closely on a plate so that the edges are touching.
Place caramel and soymilk in a tall microwave-safe glass or dish (mixture will bubble and rise when heated).
Microwave at medium power for 1 minutes. Stir mixture vigorously until smooth and thoroughly blended. (Return to microwave for 30 seconds at medium heat if caramel has not fully melted.) Immediately drizzle caramel sauce over cupcakes.