Makes 3 - 4 cups
Originally aired November 17, 2009
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 5 Fresno chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 ancho chili, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Sweat the onion and garlic with a 3-finger pinch of salt in the olive oil over a medium heat in a nonreactive 2-quart saucepan until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the Fresno chili, ancho chili, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute or two. Add the brown sugar, cumin, cinnamon, tomato paste, and vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes. Add 3 cups water, bring to a gentle simmer, and cook over low heat for 2 hours.
Remove from the heat and let cook for 15 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick. Puree the mixture in a blender and strain through a sieve, pushing any solids through. Let cool, then cover, and refrigerator for up to one month.