Aired October 30, 2009
- 1 2-pound sugar pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into 1-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, eyeball it, plus additional
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 pound pancetta, cut into fine dice
- 1 1/2 pounds good quality, fresh large cheese or wild mushroom and cheese ravioli
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 20 leaves fresh sage
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, for shaving over ravioli
- balsamic drizzle
Heat oven to 400F.
Coat pumpkin with a few tablespoons EVOO, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and roast 15 minutes. Turn squash over and roast 15 minutes more.
When pumpkin is a few minutes away from being done, bring a large pot of water to a boil for ravioli.
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta and crisp, 4-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and wipe the fat drippings out of the pan.
Drop ravioli in the boiling water and cook 3-4 minutes.
While the ravioli cook, melt butter in the skillet then add sage leaves and crisp them up, about 2 minutes. Carefully remove leaves, reserving them on a plate. Reduce heat under skillet a bit and allow the solids in the butter to brown.
Drain ravioli and add them to the skillet. Toss to coat.
Arrange brown butter ravioli on serving platter with the pumpkin, and give everything a gentle toss. Top with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, crumbled sage and balsamic drizzle.