Aired October 28, 2009
- 2 Empire, Gala or Honey crisp apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 slightly under-ripe brown-skinned pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- A pinch of ground cloves or allspice
- A pinch of ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
- 2 store-bought pie crusts
- A sprinkle of flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
Preheat oven to 400F. Arrange 2 racks near center of oven.
Combine apples, cranberries and pears in a bowl. Toss with lemon juice, cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves or allspice, ginger and a pinch of salt.
Roll dough out a bit on a lightly floured surface. Cut each pie crust into 4 large wedges. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and arrange 4 wedges on each sheet. Arrange 1/8 of the fruit mixture on each wedge. Fold edges of each wedge in about an inch, leaving the center of each wedge exposed. Dot exposed fruit with butter. Brush exposed crust with egg wash. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.